Brownsville police search for hit and run driver

by Benjamin Treviño | January 13th, 2022 | Auto Accident, Hit-And-Run, Lawsuit, Legal Representation, News

Brownsville police are investigating a deadly hit and run accident. The crash happened January 4 at 1:30 a.m. in the 800 block of Calle Milpa Verde, according to Investigator Martin Sandoval, a spokesperson for the Brownsville Police Department.

Sandoval reported that the male victim was struck by a white pickup truck, and died at the scene. Although the victim has been identified, police were not immediately releasing his name pending notification of his family.

Police were also trying to identify the driver of the truck who left the accident scene without providing any medical attention to the victim, Sandoval said.

Can you sue a hit and run driver in Texas?

Yes. Texas law requires drivers to take certain actions following an accident. Drivers must stay at the scene long enough to administer first aid to those who may need it. If no one needs first aid, then the drivers are expected to provide contact information to each other, and to the police.

In some cases, a driver does not stay at the accident site for fear of being criminally charged. This most often happens when other driver was somehow negligent, such as running a red light, or driving under the influence of alcohol.

Suing for damages

Whether you can receive compensation for your injuries and/or damages depends on whether the police can locate the at-fault driver. If they do, then you can sue for damages. If not, then you may have to pay out-of-pocket for expenses that weren’t even your fault.

The injury attorneys at J. Gonzalez Law Firm can use the information you provide, and work with police to help find the hit and run driver. J. Gonzalez can also hire experts, and private investigators to conduct further research into helping you locate the driver, and collect the compensation you deserve.

Insurance claims

If the hit and run driver cannot be located, you can still file a claim with your insurance company to recover some damages. In the state of Texas, insurers are legally required to offer uninsured motorist coverage to all drivers. If you opted for this coverage when you purchased your policy, then you should be able to file an uninsured motorist claim.

J. Gonzalez can help you!

If you have been the victim of a hit and run accident, you might feel as if there is no way you can be made whole again. However, even if the other driver cannot be found, the J. Gonzalez Law Firm can help you understand what to do next. Hiring a J. Gonzalez injury attorney can help you rest assured that your case is being handled properly. Contact J. Gonzalez today at 1-800-CARCRASH to stop feeling like a victim, and to get back to your normal life!

Book My FREE Consultation Now



Before You Leave

Check in first with our Legal Assistant for guidance in your personal injury case.

Start Now

Holler Box