Can a Car Crash Cause Sleeping Problems?
by J. Gonzalez Injury Attorneys | October 6th, 2021 | Auto Accident
Your car accident attorneys in Weslaco would like to continue the conversation and speak further about how car accidents may cause sleeping problems and what you may be able to do about it.
Types of Sleeping Issues
The stress accompanying a car accident may be monumental for you to bear throughout your days and nights following the crash. You may experience the following sleeping issues and disorders following a car accident:
- Insomnia:Insomnia is a sleep disorder characterized by your inability to fall asleep
- Hypersomnia: Also known as excessive daytime sleepiness, you may feel drowsy during the hours when you are usually up and awake.
- Bad Dreams: It’s possible to relive traumatic experiences, such as a car accident while sleeping.
- Delayed Sleep Phase Syndrome: Your sleep patterns may be disrupted much more often than before the accident.
- Daytime Fatigue: Lack of sleep may cause fatigue throughout your day, causing difficulties enjoying day-to-day activities.
- Oversleeping: Sleeping too much may indicate severe underlying issues, such as depression or traumatic brain injuries.
- Periodic Limb Movement Disorder: You may experience sudden movements from your arms and legs while you sleep.
- Sleep Apnea: This happens when you stop breathing momentarily while asleep, causing you to wake up suddenly.
- Narcolepsy: This is when you uncontrollably fall asleep.
What You Can Do About Sleep Problems
Insomnia, nightmares, and fatigue can affect how you carry yourself daily. These sleep problems may cause or emphasize new or existing health issues, cause cognitive problems, affect your performance at school or work, and keep you from enjoying activities that once brought you joy. You may experience high levels of anguish, anxiety, and depression that may affect your life in a significant way.
Your car accident attorneys in Brownsville recommend taking the following steps towards treating and healing from sleep problems experienced due to a car accident:
- Get examined and diagnosed by your doctor immediately.
- Follow the treatment necessary to help you with your sleeping problems.
- Keep any early and ongoing documentation of your sleeping problems and medical documentation.
- Speak to your car accident lawyer in Weslaco to file a claim due to emotional distress damages.
- Sleep problems, such as insomnia, fall under the examples of emotional distress that you can experience. In a previous blog, we spoke about the ins and outs of emotional distress and how we can help you file a claim due to emotional distress damages.
We Will Help You With a Car Accident Claim
Sleep is essential to recuperate your mind and body from the day’s activities. As such, we understand the heavy toll that sleep problems may cause on your mental, physical, and emotional well-being following a car accident.
If you or a loved one is suffering from sleeping problems following a car accident, you may be entitled to financial compensation. Our J.Gonzalez Injury Attorneys will work hard to help you receive the justice and peace you deserve!