Early Morning Car Crash Takes the Life of One Woman
The Edinburg Police Department responded to a car accident early Sunday morning that took the life of one woman.
Details Regarding the Incident
Around 6 a.m., a two-vehicle accident involving a truck and car occurred on Expressway 281 near Trenton Road. The truck involved in the car crash had visible front-end damage while the other vehicle was “too mangled to determine the make and model.”
The driver of the car — a 29-year-old woman — died in the car accident. No other injuries were reported.
The driver of the truck was taken into custody pending charges of intoxication manslaughter and intoxication assault. He was expected to face criminal charges on Monday but the arraignment was rescheduled to Tuesday.
Alcohol-Impaired Car Accident Facts and Statistics
In a recent study published by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) analyzing 2017 car accident data, the organization found that:
- A total of 10,874 fatalities — roughly 29 percent of all traffic fatalities in 2017 — occurred in crashes involving drivers with a blood alcohol concentration (BAC) of 0.08 grams per deciliter (g/dL) or higher.
- That’s equivalent to 1 alcohol-impaired-driving fatality every 48 minutes.
- Of these 10,874 fatalities, roughly 68 percent were caused by a driver with a BAC at 0.15 g/dL or higher.
- In 2017, motorcyclists had the highest mortality rate of drivers with a BAC at 0.08 g/dL or higher, accounting for approximately 27 percent. Passenger vehicles came next, ranging at around 21 percent, while light trucks made up 20 percent.
- Drivers aged 21 through 24 were found to be the demographic that had the highest percentage of drivers with a BAC of 0.08 g/dL or higher in fatal car accidents.
- Alcohol-impaired driving was 3.6 times higher during the night time than it was during the day.
Have you lost a loved one as a result of a car accident involving a drunk driver? Let our car accident and wrongful death attorneys help you get your life back together.
When tragedy strikes unexpectedly, and a loved one loses their life because of another’s negligence, it can be emotionally challenging to make sense of it all. However, you may find it necessary to bring a suit against the offending party, especially if you face financial hardship because of your loss.
Our car accident attorneys at J. Gonzalez Injury Attorneys take great pride in providing the legal care you need to piece your life back together after a horrible tragedy strikes. Don’t let someone else’s negligence cause you to suffer in silence. Fight for your right to compensation and recovery.