Man Arrested in Hidalgo County for Excessive Speeding
by J. Gonzalez Injury Attorneys | February 10th, 2021 | Auto Accident
On the afternoon of February 3rd, a male suspect was arrested in Hidalgo County and charged with reckless driving, serving as a grave danger to everyone who shared the road with him.
Details on the Incident
According to a statement released by Hidalgo County authorities, a man was detained at approximately 3:50 p.m. on the intersection of US 281 Frontage and SH 107.
Local authorities stated that the suspect was operating a Blue Ford Focus that was excessively speeding and maneuvering ahead of other vehicles near US 281 and Canton Road in Hidalgo County.
The driver complied with a traffic stop and was arrested by local police officers. Thankfully, no injuries of any kind or vehicle damages were reported.
Excessive Speeding Can Be Lethal and Catastrophic Mistake
Excessive speeding, or reckless driving, is known to be one of the leading causes of traffic-related deaths among Americans. In fact, for the past 20 years, these types of incidents have been responsible for at least one-third of all traffic fatalities across the United States.
According to a study conducted by the Texas Department of Transportation, there were a total of 284 fatalities that occurred as a direct result of excessive speeding, accounting for approximately 7.8% of the state’s fatality rate in 2019.
For further context closer to home, there were 505 reported fatalities in Hidalgo County as a result of excessive speeding that same year.
Out of those reported accidents, there were a total of:
- 101 crashes where 198 individuals suffered possible injuries.
- 57 crashes in which 98 individuals suffered non-incapacitating injuries.
- 22 crashes in which 34 individuals suffered serious injuries.
- 9 fatal crashes in which 10 individuals died as a result of the accident.
What To Do in the Event of a Speeding-Related Car Accident
When a negligent driver speeds on the roadway and ends up striking your vehicle, it is vital to take the following steps into consideration in order to have a strong legal case:
- Check yourself for any injuries: Checking yourself or others in your vehicle for any injuries is important to tying them to your car accident. If nobody inside your vehicle seems to have sustained any injuries, it is still important to receive a medical evaluation as some injuries may take hours or days to fully come into effect.
- Contact local authorities immediately: Following the accident, it is crucial to contact local authorities and notify them immediately of the car accident that has just occurred. Make sure you notify them of the exact whereabouts and any other details pertaining to the accident. This information is usually documented on their police report, a document that can be used in your case.
- Collect any relevant evidence possible, which includes:
Any photographs and video footage that directly pertains to the accident that explicitly show any injuries, vehicle and property damages, and the scene itself.
The negligent party’s contact information including their full legal name, insurance information, phone number, vehicle make and model, and their license plate number.
The official police and incident reports once they become available.
Any medical documentation that relates to the incident including medical records, receipts, doctor’s notes. prescribed medicine, proof of rehabilitation, and hospital bills that were issued.
- Consult with an experienced car accident attorney like the ones at J. Gonzalez Injury Attorneys to file your personal injury claim, starting on your journey to the recovery you deserve!
Injured because of a driver who was speeding? Contact J. Gonzalez Injury Attorneys today for a FREE no-obligation consultation!
Source: Valley Central