3 Actions You Must Take to Maximize Your Car Accident Claim
by J. Gonzalez Injury Attorneys | August 20th, 2019 | Auto Accident
A car accident caused by negligence can be a painful and confusing experience for victims. Whether it’s a minor fender-bender or a devastating head-on collision, severe injuries inflicted can last a lifetime and come with extensive medical costs.
On the other hand, filing a claim and receiving the proper amount of compensation from car insurance companies can be a bigger hassle, especially if you’ve never dealt with them before. Oftentimes, the first settlement they may offer you might not be enough to help pay for your vehicle’s damages, much less your injuries.
The McAllen car accident attorneys of J.Gonzalez Injury Attorneys know the struggle that those involved in car accidents face in order to get their lives back on track. As a result, we have made it our life’s work to fight tooth and nail for victims’ rights to the full monetary compensation they deserve, and throughout the years, we have found the following helps them get the most for their claim.
- Get Medical Treatment for Injuries
It is common to feel an unusual and uncomfortable soreness around your body as soft-tissue injuries like whiplash and back sprains set in after a car accident. In some cases, you may not feel any noticeable injuries at the time of the accident or shortly after. Whatever outcome you may experience, seeking out medical attention is always in your best interest.
Check if any injuries were sustained between yourself and any passengers at the time of your accident and receive treatment immediately. After the hospital visit, be sure to follow the doctor’s orders and go through the prescribed medical treatment plan in order to heal properly. Failure to receive medical care after a car accident and/or adhere to a treatment plan could seem like the injuries weren’t serious enough to warrant compensation, significantly undercutting the total amount awarded.
- Gather Relevant Documentation
When maximizing compensation, gathering every relevant document and piece of information as evidence is crucial to strengthening your case. Some of the most important items to have on hand in order to win your claim include:
- Photographs of the vehicles’ damages from various angles, where it took place, and what the scene looked like.
- Take down the negligent driver’s full legal name, phone number, license plate number, and their insurance information (e.g. company name and the type of policy they own).
- Medical records showing proof of your injuries sustained, the treatment administered, and any associated costs. This will play a key role when determining the value of your claim.
- A copy of the police report can provide a lot of information needed including time, place, fault, and damage that occurred to you and your vehicle.
- Witness testimonials can help your case if they can confirm your side of the story. If you do find one, be sure to write down their contact information.
- Recruit an Experienced Attorney
The key to winning a negligent car accident case is to have a trusted, reliable attorney there to guide and protect you through the entire legal process. Insurance claims adjusters will try as hard as they can to undercut or deny your claim, searching for anything you may say or do to help them achieve that.
Having a knowledgeable attorney negotiate with these entities eliminates that risk. Our experienced car accident lawyers can also help keep your evidence secure and provide you unmatched legal representation and advice designed to win your claim.
In other words, when a car accident occurs, the best way to get the most compensation for your damages and injuries would be to contact the J. Gonzalez Injury Attorneys.