Authorities Investigating Vehicle Rollover Accident in Hidalgo County
by J. Gonzalez Injury Attorneys | February 25th, 2020 | Auto Accident
On Thursday, February 20th, a large commercial vehicle was involved in a rollover accident at the intersection of HWY 107 and FM 493 in Hidalgo County.
Details of the Accident
The Department of Public Safety (DPS) showed up at the scene and were in the process of removing the large vehicle from the road. The Hidalgo County Sheriff’s Office advised drivers via Twitter to refrain from that area and proceed with caution.
No injuries have been reported as of yet, and the specific details of what led to the incident are still being investigated as of right now by local authorities.
Notable Rollover Statistics
Rollover accidents are considered to be one of the deadliest types of car accidents in the United States. All of these accidents occur under different circumstances. The larger and more narrow the vehicle is, the more at risk they may be due to their high center of gravity.
According to data provided by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA):
- 90 percent of single-vehicle rollover accidents occur when the driver is making a routine driving maneuver (driving straight or in a curve). Unfortunately, distracted driving is usually the listed reason for the occurrence.
- 85 percent of rollover fatalities are caused by single-vehicle crashes.
- Nearly 75 percent (or ¾ ) of rollover accidents occurred on roads that had a speed limit of 55 miles per hour and above.
- 40 percent of fatal rollover accidents involved excessive speeds, and nearly half involved alcohol.
In addition, a separate study conducted by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) reported that in 2018, 45 percent of large truck occupant fatalities were involved in rollover accidents.
Most Common Rollover Types and Causes
The following are all some of the most common types of rollover accidents that you should be aware of:
- Tripped rollovers – This is considered the most common type of rollover and tallies up for a total of 95 percent of all rollover accidents. Tripping is caused when a driver attempts to make a right turn while going down a slope at a fast speed, when a driver hits a guardrail at a fast speed, or runs over an object or soft soil, causing the vehicle to rollover.
- Untripped rollovers – These types of incidents occur when the driver takes a very sharp turn, an unusual swerve, or another sort of vehicle avoidance maneuver.
Other causes of a rollover can include:
- Hazardous road conditions – Severe weather or inadequate road conditions can be a huge risk, especially if the driver is not taking the necessary precautions.
- Driving behavior – Things such as texting and driving, excessive speeding, or driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs can lead to a severe accident that could take the lives of any involved or sharing the road.
McAllen Car Accident Attorneys That Are Here To Help
If you were to survive such a horrific rollover accident, you need to seek medical attention immediately. Once you have received proper medical assistance, contact the McAllen car accident attorneys of J. Gonzalez Injury Attorneys as soon as you possibly can to see what legal options are available and evaluate what negligent factors led up to your accident in order to proceed with your car accident claim.
If you or a loved were involved in a severe rollover accident that was caused by a negligent party, contact J. Gonzalez Injury Attorneys today any of our McAllen, Brownsville, or Rio Grande City locations for a FREE, no-obligation case review!
Source: Valley Central