Pickup Truck Runs Over Pedestrians in Houston
by J. Gonzalez Injury Attorneys | October 22nd, 2021 | Auto Accident
On Wednesday, October 20, two pedestrians were killed as they tried crossing the highway in the 9000 block of South Main near 610.
More Details About the Accident
According to the Houston Police Department, the accident occurred around 9 pm. Both pedestrians were attempting to cross the highway when a driver in a pickup truck ran over them. The two pedestrians were declared dead at the scene.
The driver stopped and cooperated with the police. The Houston PD has yet to determine who was at fault.
Sean Teare of the Harris County District Attorney’s Office declared, “What we do know right now is where the point of impact was, there wasn’t a crosswalk. But we’re in Houston and crosswalks are sometimes few and far between.”
The Importance of Pedestrian SafetyAccording to @TXDOT, if there is no crosswalk, it’s important to avoid jaywalking at all costs! Jaywalking will place you in harm’s way with oncoming traffic! #Jaywalking #PedestrianSafety #CarAccidentLawyer Click To Tweet
According to the Texas Department of Transportation, pedestrian deaths in Texas have been on a rise, contributing to one in five traffic fatalities! Because of this, we would like to stress the importance of pedestrian safety.
Here are a few ways that both pedestrians and drivers can help improve pedestrian safety:
- Drivers should follow the speed limit.
- Pedestrians should always use crosswalks and sidewalks.
- Drivers and pedestrians should always yield to each other.
- Pedestrians should make eye contact with drivers before crossing.
- When drivers see any pedestrians, they should practice slowing down.
- Pedestrians should practice looking both ways before crossing the street.
- Both drivers and pedestrians should stay alert of their surroundings and avoid any distractions, such as texting or talking on the phone.
Reach Out To Your Brownsville Car Accident Attorney!
Your car accident attorneys in Brownsville understand the importance of pedestrian safety! We hope you will follow the safety tips provided to keep our pedestrians safe on our Texas roads.
However, it’s an unfortunate reality that accidents may happen. If you or a loved one were recently involved in a pedestrian-car accident, we invite you to reach out to J. Gonzalez Injury Attorneys today to begin your journey to healing.