San Benito pedestrian struck by vehicle
SAN BENITO — A San Benito man is recovering after a May 19 auto-pedestrian accident left him temporarily hospitalized. Miguel De La Fuente was walking to work when he was hit by a car in the 100 block of Williams Road.
Additional details on the incident were not immediately available.
In an exclusive interview with valleycentral.com, De La Fuente urged other pedestrians to use caution when walking along roadways, and told drivers to be alert for pedestrians.
“We need to have more precautions when driving and see all the mirrors and see more than anything in front of you to make sure there is no one,” De La Fuente told the news outlet.
Pedestrian safety tips
Everyone will be a pedestrian at some point in their lives. Unfortunately, pedestrian injuries and fatalities remain high. In 2020, 6,516 pedestrians were killed and an estimated 55,000 pedestrians were injured nationwide. The National Highway Transportation Safety Administration (NTSHA) and the J. Gonzalez Law Firm offer the following tips to keep pedestrians safe:
- Follow the rules of the road and obey signs and signals.
- Walk on sidewalks whenever they are available.
- If there is no sidewalk, walk facing traffic and as far from traffic as possible.
- Cross streets at crosswalks or intersections. Look for cars in all directions, including those turning left or right.
- If a crosswalk or intersection is not available, locate a well-lit area where you have the best view of traffic. Wait for a gap in traffic that allows enough time to cross safely; continue watching for traffic as you cross.
- Watch for cars entering or exiting driveways, or backing up in parking lots.
- Avoid alcohol and drugs when walking; they impair your abilities and your judgment.
- Embrace walking as a healthy form of transportation – get up, get out and get moving.
Exercise your rights
Regardless of how cautious you are, there may come a time when you are injured due to the carelessness or negligence of a motorist. If that should ever happen to you, the J. Gonzalez Law Firm is ready to help you exercise your right to recover due compensation.
The first step in the process is to get an initial consultation with a qualified attorney to determine if you have a personal injury case. At the J. Gonzalez Law Firm, the initial consultation is always free, and if we take your case, you pay nothing until we achieve a just settlement or verdict in your favor.
Call us today at 1-800-CAR-CRASH.