Woman and two children hospitalized after Brownsville crash

by Benjamin Treviño | July 21st, 2023 | 18 Wheelers, Blog


BROWNSVILLE — A woman and two children were transported to a local hospital following a crash with an 18-wheeler. This, according to a news release issued by the Brownsville Police Department.

Police received a call July 20 of a major accident at 9:03 a.m. at the 6900 block of Padre Island Hwy where an 18-wheeler crashed into a vehicle, the news release stated.

One woman and two children were transported to a local hospital with non-life-threatening injuries, police said.

No other details of the accident were provided.


Personal injury claims on behalf of minor children

Texas defines a “minor” in various ways. According to Texas Family Code, a minor is someone under the age of 17. A minor according to the Texas Criminal Code is someone under the age of 18. A minor can also be “emancipated” under the law, if they are 17 years old, and managing their own finances, or if they are 16 years old, and living apart from their parents and managing their own finances.

Minors are unable to file lawsuits without the assistance of a parent or guardian. However, if a minor is injured because of another person’s negligence, they can (though their parents or guardian) file a claim for compensation.

Minors are entitled to recover losses for their injury, disability, pain and suffering, future loss of income (when they become an adult), disfigurement, and anything else that an adult can recover. Even if the minor is working, the income legally belongs to the parent, so past lost income incurred while the injured person was a minor is a claim that legally belongs to the parent.

What can the parents recover?

Parents can seek to recover medical bills, lost wages, and other “bills” that were incurred on behalf of the injured minor while they were a minor. Once the injured person is no longer a minor, all bills incurred after that date are the responsibility of the injured person.

How long do the parents have to sue?

In Texas, parents have two years from the date of injury to sue or settle their case for their injured minor’s bills, lost income, etc.

Get legal advice quickly

The laws governing minor injury can be complicated. If your minor child was injured due to the negligence of another, you should contact the J. Gonzalez law Firm immediately.

It will cost you nothing to discuss your case with one of our experienced and professional personal injury attorneys. Please contact our office at 1-800-CAR-CRASH to find out what you need to do to protect your rights and your child’s rights.


Source: https://www.valleycentral.com/news/local-news/bpd-woman-2-children-hospitalized-after-crash-with-18-wheeler/


Before You Leave

Check in first with our Legal Assistant for guidance in your personal injury case.

Start Now

Holler Box