Criminal charges filed following fatal accident

by Benjamin Treviño | July 19th, 2022 | Auto Accident, Blog, News, Recent News

COMBES – According to the Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS), 36-year-old Erica Lynn Johnson of Harlingen is facing four charges in connection with a fatal July 16 crash in Combes. Johnson is charged with intoxication manslaughter, intoxication assault, failure to stop and render aid causing death, and failure to stop and render aid causing serious bodily injury.

The charges stem from a crash that occurred about 12:42 a.m. on Interstate 69 East in Combes. According to DPS, the 2008 Kia Sorrento Johnson was driving veered left to avoid crashing into another vehicle. Her car then struck a 2005 Chevrolet Suburban, causing the Suburban to lose control and overturn multiple times. Both vehicles were traveling southbound at the time, according to the report.

The driver of the Chevy, who has yet to be identified, died from his injuries at Valley Baptist Medical Center.

State troopers say a passenger and Erica Johnson from Harlingen, TX, in her vehicle fled the scene without rendering aid. Johnson was later found hiding in a field and the passenger has yet to be located, according to DPS.


How punitive damages relate to drunk driving personal injury cases

If you are a victim of a car accident where the at-fault driver was drunk, just like Erica Johnson Harlingen case you may be entitled to punitive damages. This is in addition to all your other damages, such as injuries and property damage.

Courts have consistently held that punitive damages should be given to injured victims or their surviving family members when drinking and driving are a factor. However, insurance companies will try to hide drunk driving from the jury. This is why you should talk to the personal injury attorneys at the J. Gonzalez Law Firm to protect you and your family’s rights.

Drunk driving personal injury claims are complicated. Here are just of a few of the things we do to help our clients:

  • Get the 911 recording of someone calling the police
  • Obtain the DUI arrest affidavit from the police
  • Seek to obtain any DUI video tapes of the arrest
  • Obtain the DUI breath or blood alcohol test results
  • Ask you to keep us informed if you are subpoenaed to the criminal case; and
  • Obtain a certified copy of the conviction for DUI if they are convicted.


More questions about drunk driving personal injury cases?

If you have more questions, please call me, J. Gonzalez, at 1-800-CAR-CRASH. I have helped many victims and their loved ones with drunk driving personal injury claims, and I can help you with yours.


Source: ](


Before You Leave

Check in first with our Legal Assistant for guidance in your personal injury case.

Start Now

Holler Box