The Most Common Injuries Suffered from a Rear-End Collision
by J. Gonzalez Injury Attorneys | July 22nd, 2020 | Auto Accident
No matter how many possible precautions we might take on the road when driving, the chances of suddenly being involved in a car accident can be pretty high. To put this into perspective, according to the Insurance Information Institute (III) in 2017, a total number of 2,456 rear-end accidents resulted in fatalities that year, accounting for 7.2% of all U.S roadway fatalities.
These collisions can be a simple fender-bender to something much worse, causing a variety of different injuries that can reduce the quality of your life.
Because the McAllen car accident lawyers of J. Gonzalez Injury Attorneys have helped many car accident victims who were involved in rear-end collisions, they know quite well the potential injuries many rear-end crash victims tend to suffer from. With their guidance, however, seeking legal action against the negligent party can ultimately help you gain financial recovery for your injuries sustained.
Potential Injuries Suffered
Due to the sudden and harrowing nature of these incidents, rear-end collisions can not only leave costly results to your vehicle, but can bring excruciating injuries that can affect your body and mind. Some of the most common injuries that are suffered in rear-end collisions include, but are not limited to:
- Whiplash: Whiplash is one of the most common injuries reported from rear-end crashes. They occur when the neck and head are violently jerked back and forth as a result of an impactful force. These injuries can take hours or even days after the incident to fully come into effect and can lead to soft tissue damage, nerve damage, and spinal damage.
- Head Trauma: Strikes to the head can cause very severe, and potentially long-term, injuries that shouldn’t be taken lightly. If you ever sustain any kind of head trauma, you should be examined by a medical professional following the incident in order to determine the severity of the injury. Like whiplash, these types of injuries are not noticeable right away and can occur physically, (e.g. facial misalignment or scars), or mentally (e.g. traumatic brain injury).
- Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI): Depending on the nature of the injury, a head injury can turn out to become what is known as a traumatic brain injury, or TBI. This type of injury can cause long-term damage to the brain such as recurring seizures, constant fatigue, impared or slurred speech, behavioral problems, cognitive issues, and severe headaches to name a few.
- Back and Spinal Injuries: Back and spinal injuries as a direct result of a car accident can leave a devastating aftermath to the human body. Even at slower speeds, the impact can deal serious damage to a person’s discs, spinal cord, and vertebrae.
- Broken bones: Suffering multiple fractures and broken bones can leave you out of work and keep you from fulfilling daily essential activities for a long period of time. In fact, some of the most common bone injuries caused by a rear-end collision include fractured femurs, broken ribs, arm and wrist fractures, and leg injuries.
Gathering Strong Evidence For Your Injury Claim
If a negligent driver strikes you from behind, it is important to gather as much evidence as you can at the time of the accident. Some of the most crucial pieces of evidence you need to build a strong car accident claim include:
- Any photographs and videos detailing:
- Injuries you and/or passengers sustained
- Property damage
- The whereabouts of the accident
- The scene of the accident itself
- Medical receipts
- Doctor’s notes/Incident reports
- Rehabilitation bills
- Police reports
Once you have received the necessary medical treatment, it is important to get in contact with an experienced personal injury attorney at J. Gonzalez Injury Attorneys as soon as you possibly can. The Texas statute of limitations will only allow you to file a claim within a 2 year time period, beginning from the date in which the accident occurred.
In the event of an unexpected car accident, having the McAllen car accident lawyers of J.Gonzalez Injury Attorneys by your side would be the ideal move in order to seek the financial compensation you need to cover your injuries and other damages. Our attorneys will walk you through the entire legal process, proudly representing you in a civil court.